Waking up to coffee every morning was nice.......
but, even better was that my children were whisked off to the kitchen table for their lessons directly after breakfast each morning by Dr. Dan Talbot, excellent teacher of Math, Science and all other subjects... while I focused on landing my second job by working on resume, cover letters, tutoring rates and services, flyers and all that goes along with trying to FIND WORK THAT PAYS to add to all the work this homeschool mom does that does NOT pay... the bills, that is........ (IT DOES PAY THOUGH!! or I wouldn't be doing it!! and loving it!!)
My front porch swing which has been woefully neglected, was thoroughly satisfied by consistent use, as was my screen porch in the back which was the spot for morning newspaper reading with coffee.
My home was finally utilized to its fullest potential and it was happy.
I also was re-inspired by my parents as I observed the following about them:
- Generosity -- My parents who have never had a lot, have always given more than they have. They came bearing gifts and groceries, filled my car with gas and left everything that they thought I could use before returning home.
- Intellectualism -- My Dad and Mom keep up on the issues of the day, on all the intellectual magazines out there, on all things philosophical, historical, scientific, Christ-centered, family focused, purpose of life, love and pursuit of happiness kind of stuff... I tell you what! I was inspired to READ READ READ and THINK THINK THINK and read and think some more... so much so that I think I may have to give up sleeping for a while as I do not see how I will fit it in with my long reading list!! In fact, I may have to stop being an observer and start being an activist once again, as I was raised to be........ or ........ well ......... maybe next year...... At the very least, they have re-inspired me to KNOW my views, be prepared to DEFEND my views and remember to be INVOLVED in some way...
- Education -- I now know that I have not missed my opportunity for higher education! I am so excited that I, too, may become a Dr. before I turn 70! And, that, my friends, is a noble and lofty goal that my Dad has achieved......... getting the final "NO REVISIONS... IT IS FINISHED" while here!!
- Exercise -- Here they are ... NEARLY 70 (sorry, but in order to appreciate the significance of all you are and all you inspire, I must keep reminding everyone of your years...... !) ........ and they are used to working out at the gym three times a week!! So, of course, I scrambled to keep them from feeling the atrophy coming on...... made sure we took them ROCK CLIMBING, walking, scooter-ing, SWIMMING, skateboarding, roller blading, and BIKING (although mine is stationery... no 10-mile biking excursions to beaches or nature reserves....)
- Nutrition -- My dad has lost 20 pounds! Barley life, Herbal fiber blend, just carrots, can't beat them beets, raw veggies, juice, salads and only one cooked meal a day.... keeps 'em feeling better than us 30-somethings!! (have to say 30-something while I still can!!! YIKES!)
- The Keep on Going Spirit-- while my life has been challenging lately.......... my parents' own lives have proven that hard times come and go... sometimes they come and stay...... but, you still keep going....... you still survive, and you always keep the faith, even though you doubt.
- NEVER GIVE UP (did I mention that one yet?)
- Nearly LAST but NOT at all LEAST... drumroll ......... They have inspired me to stop turning a blind eye toward TECHNOLOGY!!! They must be some of the most technologically savvy almost-seventy-year-olds (sorry, said it again) around!! Here they come with DIGITAL VOICE RECORDERS, MEMORY STICKS, LAPTOPS, WIRELESS, DOWNLOADS, UPLOADS, ............. Oh my stars!! I learned what I'm missing out on! Now I've just gotta get me a digital voice recorder! It'll help me teach ESL! It'll let my students hear themselves speak! Improve pronunciation!! And MEMORY STICKS!! WHOA!! You can take your whole computer anywhere! Stick it in there, download stuff, delete, upload stuff! Take my whole computer back with you!! Boy, did I learn a lot!!
- Finally, I learned that my parents still think that they are SPRING CHICKENS!! They left my house at 6pm after being up all day........ watching baseball, swimming, eating cake, and then they DROVE ALL NIGHT and didn't arrive home until 5am the next day! I couldn't even do that!! AND I AM A SPRING CHICKEN!
3 comments:
I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! Your personality really comes through and I can hear your voice as you say those things - "oh my stars!" hee!
And I LOVE YOUR PARENTS! They are great! And now I have to go exercise!!!
Thanks Rachel!! You're my inspiration!! :)
Finally got a chance to read your blog and I was very intertained. Just like Rachel I can hear you speaking and can picture your facial expressions. love ya
Post a Comment